DJ LAB (Costa Rica) and The Brooklyn Digital Conservatory (NYC) are partnering up again to offer a special 10 hour, 2 day course: Recording, Editing, Tuning and Mixing Vocals from February 10 – February 11, 2018.
This masterclass will deeply explore one of the most important aspects of music production – getting a great vocal sound in the production. In the American pop music industry, vocals are considered the most important part of a track and a large part of the production process is focused on recording, comping tuning and mixing them.
This class will be aimed at: Music Producers, Musicians, Singers and Students of Music Production.
This class will be taught by Ableton Certified Trainer Dan Freeman (CØm1x) who is professor at the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music at New York University (New York City, US) where he works with Grammy Award-winning engineers Bob Power, Nick Sansano and Jim Anderson and will incorporate techniques that have been developed at the Clive Davis Institute for recording, producing and mixing vocals.
In the workshop, we will work with a live singer and cover the following topics:
- RECORDING GOOD VOCALS:
- Microphones, Pop Screens, Filters and Placement for Vocals
- Setting up a vocal session in Ableton Live
- The correct chain for recording vocals and an introduction to Universal Audio Plug-Ins
- Doubling Vocals
- EDITING/ALIGNING AND TUNING VOCALS:
- Setting up a comping session in Ableton Live
- Putting together vocal takes
- Adjusting the timing of vocal takes
- Tuning vocals with Ableton
- The basics of Melodyne 4: The main tuning software of the U.S. pop industry
- MIXING VOCALS
- The basics of Saturation and an introduction to SoundToys’ ‘Decapitator’ and iZotope’s ‘Alloy 2’ plug-ins
- Properly EQing Vocals
- Using Compressors with Vocals
- Understanding Reverbs and how to correctly process vocal takes
- Understanding Delays and how to build the delays to thicken the vocal sound
- The Secret Vocal plug-in : )
- PROCESSING LIVE VOCALS WITH ABLETON LIVE
- Mics and recommended equipment for live performance
- Setting up a live performance session for vocals
- Effects within Ableton Live to use for live vocals
- Vocoders and Harmonizers
Enrolled students will also receive the following benefits:
- The course will be taught by an Ableton Certified Trainer.
- Enrolled students will receive 20% off all Keith McMillen products. (With the exception of the K-Mix)
- Enrolled students will recieve 75% off selected Soundfly courses
- Students will receive credit at DJLAB and will receive discounts if they continue the DJLAB/Brooklyn Digital Conservatory Certificate Program in Electronic Music Production
This course will meet from February 10 – 11, 2018 from 2:00 – 7:00 PM at DJ LAB (Calle 33 Ave 1A #3350, Barrio Escalante) San José, Costa Rica. It will include a break. It will be limited to 17 students.
To reserve a spot, please feel free to either pay in full or put down a deposit of $50.00. A DEPOSIT MUST BE PAID BY FEBRUARY 8, 2018 TO RESERVE A SPOT IN THE COURSE. Full payment will be due on February 9, 2018. Payment can be made by credit card, PayPal or in person at DJLAB. For more information, contact DJ LAB at: http://www.djlabcr.com/ or call +506 2283 5522. You can also contact the Brooklyn Digital Conservatory at: [email protected]
For more on the course, visit the Facebook event page
The Brooklyn Digital Conservatory is an independent company working in partnership with educational institutions and manufacturers. This course has not been authorized or sponsored or otherwise approved by Ableton AG.