DJ LAB (Costa Rica) and The Brooklyn Digital Conservatory (NYC) are partnering up again to offer a special 30 hour, 7 day course: Ableton Live Certified Intensive Training from February 12 – February 18, 2018. This course will be unique for several reasons:
- The course will be taught by an Ableton Certified Trainer.
- Students will receive a free copy of Ableton Live 9 Suite – which can be upgraded to Live 10 Suite when it is released.
- Students will receive discounts on the Ableton PUSH.
- Enrolled students will receive a Certificate of Completion with the Brooklyn Digital Conservatory and DJLAB logo.
- Enrolled students will receive a free license for a year of the Arturia V Collection Software Instrument Bundle of classic synthesizers valued at $499.00
- Enrolled students will receive 20% off all Keith McMillen products. (With the exception of the K-Mix)
- Enrolled students will recieve 20% off all Soundfly courses
- Students will receive credit at DJLAB and will receive discounts if they continue the DJLAB/Brooklyn Digital Conservatory Certificate Program in Electronic Music Production.
- Students will receive discounts if they choose to take classes at the Point Blank Electronic Music School
This 30 hour course will be taught in Spanish by Ableton Certified Trainer and Director of the Brooklyn Digital Conservatory Dan Freeman (CØm1x). Dan is a professor at New York University’s Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music where he designed the Ableton Live curriculum. An expert on the Ableton Push, he has launched both the Push 1 and Push 2 at events in New York City and has been hired by Ableton to train numerous major label artists on Ableton Live and Push. He has given workshops on Ableton Live and performed at festivals, universities and schools worldwide including at: SXSW (Austin, US), Harvard University (US), Berklee College of Music (US), Berghain (Berlin) The Strøm Festival (Denmark), IATEC (Brazil), AIMEC (Brazil) The Universidad de Caldas (Colombia), The International Museum and Library of Music (Bologna, Italy), Argenlive (Buenos Aires), Tecnologico Monterrey (Mexico City), The Universidad de Santiago (Chile) and at Sonar (Spain).
This course will meet daily from February 12 – 18, 2018 (M-F from 6:00 – 9:00 PM and Sat/Sun from 1:00 – 8:30) at DJ LAB (Calle 33 Ave 1A #3350, Barrio Escalante) San José, Costa Rica. It will include a daily 1 hour break. It will be limited to 17 students.
The course will cover the following topics:
Part I: Building Beats
- How to construct beats with Ableton Live’s Drum Rack
- Building kicks with synths
- Techniques for writing great beats
- Mixing and sound designing beats
- Beat making with the Ableton PUSH 2
Part II: Building Bass Lines
- How to sound design a bass sound on an Analog synth using Ableton’s Analog and the Arturia Microbrute
- How to write a good bass line
- Techniques for fattening up bass
- Recording and using electric bass
Part III: Pads, Stabs. Melody
- How to create dynamic and interesting pads and stabs using Ableton’s Operator, Analog and Instrument and Audio Effect Racks.
- Designing lead sounds using Ableton’s Sampler instrument and multisampling
- Utilizing external synths in your production
- Reverb and Delay techniques for space
- Basic Max for Live Effects
- Controlling external synths like the Arturia Microbrute
Part IV: Vocals
- Students will focus on techniques for recording and mixing vocals in Ableton Live 9.
- Students will learn about compression and EQ techniques for vocals
- Students will learn how to build a vocoder.
Part V: Mixing & Performance
- Students will learn how to mix a track in a laptop studio
- Students will learn how to set up and prepare a mix
- Proper mix effect chains
- Saturation, EQ, Compression and Delay
- Setting up mix reverbs and delays
- Mix bus effects.
- How to set up a live set in Ableton Live.
- Students will receive a basic mix template.
- Performance techniques with the Ableton PUSH 2 and Link.
- New Features in Ableton Live 10
To reserve a spot, please feel free to either pay in full or put down a deposit of $250.00. A DEPOSIT MUST BE PAID BY FEBRUARY 2, 2018 TO RESERVE A SPOT IN THE COURSE. Full payment will be due on February 9, 2018. Payment can be made by credit card, PayPal or DJLAB. There are discounts for early payments and monthly payment options available.
For more on the course, visit the Facebook event page
The Brooklyn Digital Conservatory is an independent company working in partnership with educational institutions and manufacturers. This course has not been authorized or sponsored or otherwise approved by Ableton AG.